Ever since we discovered turkey bolognese my family have finally enjoyed eating bolognese! They have never been big fans of the traditional spaghetti bolognese made with beef mince. I have never understood why because this is actually my favourite dish. And I am not exaggerating when I say that I could eat it almost every day!
So one day I decided to try making it with turkey mince instead of beef mince and it’s been a real game changer! Now that my family enjoys eating bolognese. I feel good about making it often and I finally get to satisfy my love for bolognese regularly. It’s a win-win!!
Turkey Bolognese Is Amazing Because
- Turkey mince is lower in fat than beef mince so it is healthier!
- It is full of flavour.
- This recipe contains vegetables for added flavour as well as nutrients.
- Best of all it’s a super easy recipe to make.
What To Serve With Turkey Bolognese
You can serve turkey bolognese with any pasta you prefer. I love the traditional spaghetti pasta but my family loves the spirals the best. You could also serve it with zucchini noodles instead of pasta. And if you make a delicious fresh salad and garlic bread to go with turkey bolognese. You will have an amazing dinner on the table in no time at all!
Turkey Bolognese Recipe
- 500 gm turkey mince
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 3 stalks of celery finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- add salt and pepper to taste
- 400g passata
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- Peel and finely chop the onion, celery and carrots
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan and add garlic and vegetables. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the turkey mince and cook until brown.
- Add the passata, crushed tomatoes and stock.
- Add oregano, thyme, cumin and parsley.
- Bring to a boil, stir then lower the heat to the lowest setting and simmer for 25 minutes.
Cook The Pasta
- While the sauce is simmering. Cook approximately 400 grams of your choice of pasta until al dente
- combine the sauce and pasta together in a big serving bowl.
- Serve with parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves to garnish.
- Don’t worry if it looks like there is a lot of sauce because the pasta will soak it all up and the delicious flavours will infuse into the pasta.
- Taste as you cook and add seasonings and herbs according to your liking.
- If you think the sauce is a little on the dry side then add more chicken stock.
- You could make turkey bolognese with turkey breast mince but I find that it’s drier than regular turkey mince.
Other Easy Recipes You Might Like To Try