Fall Apart Roasted Pork Leg is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
I was trying to decide what to cook for our Halloween Dinner Party. I wanted a delicious main dish that was easy to cook, and that would feed a small crowd. It had to be something simple so I was as free as possible to enjoy the evening.
I was really excited about spending as much time as I could with my family especially since we hadn’t been together since before lockdown. In addition, I was looking for something I could cook in advance and just reheat when the time came.
I went through the list of usual crowd favorites like lasagna, nachos, pot roast. Then I thought of pork. Pork is less expensive than other meats and you can easily cook it in advance. Plus it tastes great especially when you cook it until it’s tender and falling apart.
How To Cook Fall Apart Roasted Pork Leg In The Oven
The key is to preheat the oven to 200 C. Then cook the pork for about 15 minutes at 200 C. Afterwards reduce the temperature to 150 C for the remaining cooking time.
I think that the best way to cook fall apart pork in the oven is to use an oven bag. Oven bags are great because they cut down your cooking time and your meat will be cooked juicy and flavoursome. As an added bonus your oven won’t get dirty with greasy splatters.
Pork Shoulder Roast
You can also make this recipe using a shoulder roast too.
Marinate for Extra Flavour
Rubbing the marinade into the pork meat and leaving it for about a minimum of one hour before cooking will ensure that the pork is really succulent.
What To Serve With Fall Apart Pork Leg Roast
- Potato Salad
- Beetroot, walnut, and rocket salad
- Roast Vegetables
- Mashed Potatoes
- pork leg (2.5kg)
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- In a small bowl combine garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and paprika
- Trim the pork leg of any fat
- Rub the spices and oil all over the pork, cover loosely with wrap and refrigerate from 1 to 24 hours
- Preheat oven to 200 C
- Place the pork into the oven bag and put it into a shallow roasting pan. Roast at 200 C for about 15 to 20 minutes then turn the heat down to 150 C. Cook for approximately 3 -4 hours depending on the size. Pork is cooked once it falls apart easily.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and let rest for about 20 minutes. Take the pork out of the oven bags. Slice the pork as thin or as thick as you like.
- Skim the fat off the juices and return the meat to the juices once you have sliced it.
If you are cooking for a larger crowd then all you need to do is double the ingredients like I did.