I made this delicious Gluten-free Orange cake for my family earlier this week and they absolutely loved it! It is also dairy-free, which is a bonus if you are lactose intolerant. You don’t need many ingredients at all and it takes very little time to make. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
- 2 1/2 cups Almond Meal
- 3 tablespoons Cornflour
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Rice Bran or Vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 or 3 large Oranges squeezed to make 250 mls juice
- Orange Zest
Ingredients for the Orange Syrup
- 1 Orange squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Preheat Oven to 180’C or 350’F
- Grease and line a round Cake Tin
- Separate Egg Yolks and Egg Whites. Set the egg whites to the aside
- Whisk the Egg Yolks with the Brown Sugar until it becomes foamy. Then add the Rice Bran or Vegetable oil. Continue to whisk adding the Orange Juice and the Zest of 2 Oranges
- Stir in Almond Meal and Cornflour, then set aside
- With a beater whip the Eggs until they form stiff peaks, then very gently fold them into the rest of the batter. Be sure to fold the Egg whites through the batter evenly but do not beat or overwork.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The cake is done when knife comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and let cool
- Use a small pot for the syrup. Add the Orange, Lemon Juice, and Vanilla with the Brown sugar. Bring to the boil then reduce temperature to low. Leave to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. The syrup should be slightly sticky and not too runny.
- Brush the syrup all over the cake.
This delicious, light, moist cake can be served with Ice cream or Greek Yoghurt. Enjoy!!
For another Gluten-free idea, you can find my Apple and Berry Gluten-free Loaf recipe here